» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

How should i pollinate fockea edulis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   Sun May 02, 2010 9:55 pm

I have several fockea edulis that happen to flowering i have tryed to pollinate using fine fishing line and pig hair also tryed by touching the flowers together tryed the same last year and i still have had no luck producing seeds. If anyone can help it would be great.
Back to top Go down
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   Sun May 02, 2010 10:55 pm

From reading Desert Tropicals, it seems that this plant is dioecious, so you'll need a male and a female plant to get seed. It may be a silly question, but you're not trying to breed male-male or female-female, are you?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   Mon May 03, 2010 7:59 am

I haven't been able to find specific diagram, but Fockea are a member on the Asclepiadaceae which as a rule have a complicated flower structure where the pollen mass "locks" into place in the receiving flower. Like a lock and key arrangement, and as such pollination is a little harder to achieve artificially... so even with a male and female plant you might have difficulties without using a microscope and tools etc.....
Back to top Go down
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   Mon May 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Thankou for your replies i have 18 fockeas of 15 are flowering and the flowers look the same i should put them outside as i heard fruit flys pollenate them although we dont want fruit flys in sth aust hope that an insect might help either way when i go back to cairns ill ask my friend how.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   Mon May 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Worth a try, I've heard that putting it near water helps also as you get the small gnats and flies etc
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   Wed May 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Even a feeding station might be worth a try. Austroplebeia bees often polinate my stapeliads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   

Back to top Go down

How should i pollinate fockea edulis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1