» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

Larryleachia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Larryleachia   Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:01 am

This is strange... the pollinated flowers were retained as tiny buds since autumn then about a month ago they grew out to this...
cacti 158
In the second picture you can see some of the dormant buds they are tiny compared to the seed pods.
cacti 159
Back to top Go down
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Larryleachia   Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Wow... I don't think I've seen anything quite like these before.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Larryleachia   Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:42 am

Very strange asclepiadacae looks similar to psuedolithos strange plants indeed are they hard to grow?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Larryleachia   Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Well done on the seed horns Crypto - did you pollinate them by hand ?? Good results either way...

Some growers may still know them as Trichocaulons... and CC they're easier than Pseudo's in my experience...they don't drop dead if you look at them sideways !!
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Larryleachia   Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:06 pm

C.C...I agree with Nav these are fairly easy to grow. They seemed to enjoy a bit of a winter drink this year I found. They also have an extensive root system so I think a generous pot size and fertilizer is probably a good way to go.
Navajoa.. I have tried many ways to pollinate them with no luck. Tried leaving them for the flies, they attracted them but didn't set seed. Then at the end of last year I think I lucked on a way of doing the pollination but the pods took such a long time to grow that I am not sure if I caused it. I will try the same way this year and keep a closer eye on them to see the results. Also have to say that psuedolithos seem to do fine for me. Had this one and many others through several years in an unheated house no probs. Only issue I have had with them is sunburn. They seem to be self fertile and after a while the seeds are a pain cause when the pods split you get little 'fairy' seeds floating around everywhere with the slightest breeze(nice problem to have I know!). Got to mention how difficult it is to work in the greenhouse when the stench of their flowers is full on. Some days I have to take them out if I need to do stuff.
Psuedolithos miguirtinus
Back to top Go down
void_genesis

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Larryleachia   Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:56 pm

I used to grow many Stapeliads when I was younger (~100 different species at one point) sourced from Tarrington, Paul Forster, random finds and the IAS. I also learnt hand pollination- Huernia and Duvalia are relatively easy with a pair of watch makers forceps (sharpened under a microscope on a wet stone), a steady hand and a keen pair of eyes. Stapelia and Larryleachia are much trickier since the receptive groove is upside down and hard to see, and the hook on the pollen body seems to be curved in an odd way.

What you are calling dormant buds are actually dormant seed pods- the flowers had already formed, opened, been pollinated, and dropped their corollas, leaving the fruit and calyx. These can then sit on the plant for ages until the seed pod begins to grow.

Lovely work growing them on from seed- I have some seedlings up from an OS source but their mix mustn't be good. They are just sitting there barely growing after a year (will have to repot soon). I'm just getting back into growing succulents again and looking forward to getting to know everyone on the boards here- you seem like a lovely bunch!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larryleachia   

Back to top Go down

Larryleachia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1