» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

black spot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: black spot   Sun May 04, 2008 7:48 pm

besides keeping watering to a minimum how can one cure a minor infection?
how to prevent the infection?

are Trichocereus bridgesii and TBM prone to black spot?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: black spot   Sun May 04, 2008 7:58 pm

These are the main Trichocereus sp. to suffer black spot. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. TBM is much more prone to the black death if overfed.

If you can post a pic that would be great. I need to see what level of rot your plant is at.

Most black death will just scab over given time and good conditions. I have found the most common occurence of it is when you buy aplant from a different area/region/state and it actually goes into a mild shock and get the spots, I have never seen it become a bad problem and usually corrects itself if kept dry and with good airflow/ventilation.

I rarely water my TBMs (usually never unless i really need to) over winter, I have 10 of them so far. None have died even if I have received them in bad condition. It is a pretty easy thing to remedy.

The rot that scares me the most is the dread orange rot, have actually lost a few valuable cacti to this one, very hard to remedy.

San Rainbow
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: black spot   Sun May 04, 2008 8:21 pm

trigonus wrote:
These are the main Trichocereus sp. to suffer black spot. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. TBM is much more prone to the black death if overfed.

If you can post a pic that would be great. I need to see what level of rot your plant is at.

Most black death will just scab over given time and good conditions. I have found the most common occurence of it is when you buy aplant from a different area/region/state and it actually goes into a mild shock and get the spots, I have never seen it become a bad problem and usually corrects itself if kept dry and with good airflow/ventilation.

I rarely water my TBMs (usually never unless i really need to) over winter, I have 10 of them so far. None have died even if I have received them in bad condition. It is a pretty easy thing to remedy.

The rot that scares me the most is the dread orange rot, have actually lost a few valuable cacti to this one, very hard to remedy.

Cheers Trigonus!
I will post a pic tomorrow, the infection doesn't look that bad I just don't want it to get worse. there seems to be some evidence of previous infection with scabbing.
All cacti have been bought from a local nursery recently.
the Trichocereus bridgesii is in a semi sheltered spot and all the TBMs are out in the weather, I thought all these species were pretty hardy?
We have had allot of rain and its been cold as well, should they be sheltered from rain during winter?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: black spot   Sun May 04, 2008 8:55 pm

TBMs can be very touchy, I would consider growing them under cover, all mine a re in my greenhouse, generally they won't need nearly as much sun as normal Trichocereus sp.

Yep the hate cold and wet, keep them sheltered definitely.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: black spot   

Back to top Go down

black spot
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1