HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

» Hi from Melbourne
by jennym Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Share | 

So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 pm

I removed an offset from my gymno. baldianum last year and it came off fine without a deep pit but maybe I just got a bit lucky. Your pups are a bit larger than mine was though. The offset set root easily also.

It's up to you whether you want a clump or many single plants.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Also when the offsets are that big, when you remove them, the spots where they were are also more obvious because the spines on the body are everywhere except where the offsets were, so it looks like there's holes in the spine coverage - that also looks bad. When you are showing plants in competition, they usually give higher ratings for clean plants with lots of offsets, rather then solo plants.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Thank-you for the information, I would like to see it flower! I think if it was a sole plant it would have more of a chance to flower. Even though some times I think it is not cold enough here to push some cacti into flowers. We did have a much colder year this winter though. I will let you know if it gets buds this year.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:48 pm

If it was mine i would keep the offsets on. The reason is It is a fairly common plant but seldom seen with so many offsets i have 10+ plants none have offsets though they are not as big as yours. Either way it is a nice plant and should flower very soon.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:19 pm

I checked my plant out and I found a pit in it. I don't think it was from pulling off an offset though but a flower.

So I think we have established that you will probably pull off spines and leave a pit so you won't have one plant looking the best but the rest will look good.
Clump or solo - whatever you prefer.

Gymno. baldianum don't grow naturally in clumps so would judges look upon a clump favourably or not?

I've bought a E. senilis which has several offsets a couple of months ago but so far the pups haven't done anything. Again this isn't natural for the plant in the wild. It's flowering at the moment so hopefully when its finished flowering I might see some growth.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Here in NSW at the Cacti & Succulent Societies meeting this month, they went over stewardship for the Royal Easter Show, and of of the Show judges, who was the guest speaker, said that actually leaving many years of dead flowers counts in a positive way as it shows the long term health of the plant. Same with clumping, as it's another reflection, on the fact that the plant is being cultivated so much better then natural conditions allow, etc.
Anyhow, thats what they told us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 am

Okay. I never thought leaving the flowers on would be a positive just because I think it looks so messy. It does make sense about clumping in that it does show that the conditions could be better.

Leaving years of dead flowers on an echinopsis or such you wouldn't even be able to see the plant anymore!

It sounds like there is no definite way to judge and it is different everywhere. Just so long as the judging the fair and consistent and the contestants know what the judges are looking for. This is often debated on the BCSS forum (British Cactus + Succulent Society) about whether we should be aiming for an overly wild look (harsh grown - full sun and little water and ferts), an overly lush look (semi-shaded, lots of water and ferts) or a happy median.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm

As per request.
Will take another photo in a week or so when more are open.
I was expecting the flower to be a deeper pink to almost red.

Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 am

Gobsmacked at that Holizonthalonius !! what a treasure Hanazono Smile

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Very nice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 pm

Neochenia chilenis v australis Third day and getting better more buds open!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Nice Neochilenia flowers. My Horridocactus paucicostata is getting closer to flower. Probably another 2 weeks to go. It's got about 10 flowers coming so I'm stoked. The flowers should look a lot like these.

Last edited by mitchell101 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Two more flowers on my G. baldianum opened today in the heat.
I was once again surprised with the colour they were... they came out nearly orange!
The pink flower is also taller but its just about spent - I had to push the petals open for the photo.

Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Some heads on this plant are shinshowa but one has more normal type flowers

Another shinshowa, I think I see pollen on the ends of the mutant petals. I am not too sure if this cultivar is much of an improvement on the norm.

V type with too many stamens and pollen, also red dashes on petals.

Back to top Go down
SuperKabuto869

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Wow, mutants are just amazing.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Did I step in dog sh*t?........ No, its just the Psuedolithos flowering again.

Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 pm

cryptocarpa wrote:
Did I step in dog sh*t?........ No, its just the Psuedolithos flowering again.

Haha. I need to get one of these just to see how bad they pong!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:03 pm

Hey Crypto,

I too don't like the CV shinshowa the flowers aren't aesthetically pleasing and they have all different issues in relation to fertility and seed setting and viability etc. I have little interest in this cv for this reason.

Loving those V type Asterias Smile

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm

This is more what I was expecting to see when my first gymno. baldianum flowers opened.

Compared to this.

G. intertextum

E. paucicostata

Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Mitchell do you know why you have differnt colours.? (in your gynmo)
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 pm

There are two different plants that I've shown. One has the deep red flowers and the other plant seems to have pale orange when they first open but then turn to a pale pink after a day.

The difference between the rich red and pale pink is just genetics. Apparently they can come in red, pink, white and orange but I guess the rich red is most desirable and hence most common in cultivation.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Just 2 for today, lots more have been in bloom lately.
First flower of the season for my A. myriostigma

Here's where I think it might be trying to throw another rib into the mix.

And an unknown, Copiapoa or something else is the question?
Back to top Go down
diddi

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:48 pm

the black spines look like copiapoa. i will post mine for comparision.
Back to top Go down
Snah

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:40 am

SnowFella, Nice plant and I think you´r right .For me it belongs to Copiapoa humilis section, possible
C.humilis ssp humilis.
Unlike the other C.humilis ssp´s it will not change the spination with age .
Post a pic ture of the plant in 10 years time for exact identification lol!

@mitchell E. paucicostata... beautiful cactus, one of my favourite ones
Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Snow Fella what is the brown on your A. myriostigma?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D   

Back to top Go down

So you're buds are now flowers - post them here ;D
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next