HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
by Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
by Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
by EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
by cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Share | 

Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kada
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:00 pm

here is the cross. the fricii would not take the pollen from the koehresii but the other way around work excellent.

has anyone else managed any other Lophophora hybrids?
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
PD
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:17 pm

I tried Loph x Turbini kada, have put down a few seeds with only a small percentage germinating. The pollinations werent really kept track of, the lophs and a few different turbinies are right next to each other so i just pollinated whenever both lots flowered. Did it numerous times and got a few fruit, if the turbini pollen was accepted or if it was insect pollination, loph to loph, i will have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:04 pm

awesome. love to see some pics! What Loph type was it? willy is self fertile, so it may have pollinated itself. the cross i made, both are self sterile, so it was pretty safe. do you know what turb sp. you used it with? be interesting to see wha they turn out to be.

did you get seeds from both mothers?

peace Smile
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Nice peres grafts Kada, be keen to see them in a few months. I bet those hybrids will be really plump when mature. I can't seem to get the hang of peres grafting yet.

Also be keen to see those Loph x Turbini PD, if they work out, sounds interesting.

Good work fellas, good to see some people playing around with the genetics of our favourite plants.

calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Awesome pics   Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Your hybrid pics are wonderful - I often wonder what do you do when you want them to root - do you pluck them and try to root them somehow, or when they pup take those, to not risk the parent?
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:33 am

Thanks Smile i am letting some pup (many are already) and others i am not letting pup. Thats the main reason i dislike pereskiopsis...they mess up the scion too much....but they are easy to graft seedlings to and they are very fast....what can ya do? :geek:

when i degraft i try to do it in spring when everythign is begining to grow full force. then i pull and twist a bit, if it feels like it will break off, i do so. otherwise i use a knife. pereskiopsis degrafts often take me about 1-3 months too root. pretty good Smile
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:03 pm

The turbinis were schwarzii and klinkerianus kada, plus another unIDed specimen. I didnt get any seed from the turbinis at all even when i tried Xing the schwarzii and klinkerianus both ways. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:34 pm

ya...im having rotten luck with turbs as well Sad

update on above plants. 3-4 cm is the largest own roots one, the largest graft is about 5cm now.

Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 am

first flowers. looking rather fricii like, cross seemed to work Smile

Back to top Go down
Lachy

Number of posts : 733

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Superb work as always. I love the pattern on the specimen on its own roots... very geometric and, well... interesting.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Quote :
I love the pattern on the specimen on its own roots... very geometric and, well... interesting.
agreed! really nice.
Back to top Go down
tripsis

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:02 am

Nice work Kada, you're making awesome progress with Lophophora cultivation. You must have so many plants!

Keep up the great work.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:08 pm

can you cross diffusa with koehresii?
Back to top Go down
tripsis

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:07 am

Why can they not be discussed here? I realise what the forum rules state, but surely when discussing for identification purposes only, alkaloid profiles are as valid and innocent as anything else.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Lophophora can be discussed here.
There are plenty of threads about them here and some very interested growers.
We just cannot discuss the entheogenic contemporary (and/or historical?) uses of these plants (or at least one member of the genus anyway) or anything associated with the ingestion thereof (snails et al. exempted). Which is fair enough considering that this is a cactus collectors' forum not a drug forum.

Can't really ban all mention of Lophophora entirely, as this would be akin to banning Trichocereus...

Tripsis, you raise an interesting point and I tend to agree with you. IMO I do not really see anything wrong with the discussion of alkaloids for matters pertaining exclusively to relationships within the Cactaceae?

funny just as I type this I see this ad underneath the forum banner:

''Buy our San Pedro Way cheaper, way stronger than elsewhere...''

lol
Back to top Go down
tripsis

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:59 pm

Oops, I replied to that in the wrong thread. That comment was supposed to be in the Lophophora alberto-vojtechii thread here. Can it be moved with the following comments so it makes more sense?

I understand that discussing ingestion of cacti containing illegal compounds is banned, with just reason. As you said, this forum is aimed at cactus enthusiasts, not those who are interested in their psychoactive properties.

However, in discussing the genus Lophophora, alkaloid profiles are an important trait in delineating separate species and inferring relationships between one another, just like flowers and seed capsules are. I think that discussion of alkaloid profiles pertaining to genetic relationships should be allowed.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Quote :

funny just as I type this I see this ad underneath the forum banner:

''Buy our San Pedro Way cheaper, way stronger than elsewhere...''

LOL.

little update, one seems to want to change colour a bit....variegated.

Quote :
can you cross diffusa with koehresii?

not likely. i wouldn't rule it out but ui have had no success. but to be honest this is the cross i have tried te least within the genus....maybe only a dozen times or so. this winter will have more experimenting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii   

Back to top Go down

Lophophora koehresii x Lophophora fricii
Page 1 of 1