HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
by RoseM Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 pm

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
by EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
by cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Share | 

assorted seeds to expand my collection

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hydrophobe

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:27 pm

This is my first post so please excuse me if this should be in a different location on the board.  

I'm interested in expanding my cactus collection and trying my hand at raising some cacti from seed.  Can anyone recommend a good seed supplier in Australia for things like Gymnocalycium, Astrophytum, Rebutia, Echinopsis, Copiapoa?  Or would anyone be willing to part with some seeds?  I'm only starting out so small assorted seed lots are fine.  More than happy to pay postage and reasonable price.

Also with regards to buying from overseas I have been looking at aquis and cites and was trying to work out if they would allow mixed seed of one species e.g. varieties of Gymnocalycium or will they expect every packet to contain a single variety?  I appreciate there will certainly be some that are a no no for mixed such as where there are some prohibited or listed varieties in a species.  Can anyone offer advice on this is it even worth trying or just stick to single types?
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:41 pm

I have a heap of notocactus seeds I harvested a few weeks ago if you are interested. Also I ordered aztekium seeds from the states. Surprisingly they got through customs fine.

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:48 am

Wow that was lucky, is that why you call yourself sneakycuttlefish? Wink if you have a few spare to sell let me know. Also I would be interested in the notscactus, which ones do you have seed for?
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:09 am

Haha yeah its a bit of a hit and miss when buy seeds like that. I haven't been picked up yet but no doubt one day I will. I think as long as its on the import list you won't get in too much trouble for very small orders (50 seeds max). Though I don't recommend trying it just in case.

They are N. graessneri seeds. Fresh as of a few weeks ago. I have way to many to use for myself so send me a pm with you address and I'll send some if you are interested.

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 am

How did you manage to collect seeds from that one, aren't the fruits tiny? Some of the others like N leninghausii, N uebelmannianus, N scopa seem to have huge quantities of seed and multiply freely.

Happy to send some seed up to you though they will probably multiply like crazy up on the tablelands.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:28 pm

It was from a plant that was sold to me as Brasilicactus graessneri. Which i assume is now notocactus. (can't keep up with the name changes at the best of times lol)

The fruits where about the size of a raisin and packed to the brim with seeds. I managed to pick a few before the ants found them but there where so many seeds in them I can't use them all.

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:35 pm

... wasn't notocactus folded into Parodia? I haven't had a lot of ant trouble so far but have had a monster snail plague, they eat everything including letters in the letterbox and even munched holes in the box of snail pellets!
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 pm

hahaha must be pretty hungry little buggers. I have to say I haven't had snail issues yet. Sounds a bit apocalyptic. Yeah It has been. So technically its parodia graessneri. Hate the constant name changes. I really wish the so called 'experts' would just make their damn minds up lol.

Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:12 pm

hydrophobe wrote:
... wasn't notocactus folded into Parodia?  I haven't had a lot of ant trouble so far but have had a monster snail plague, they eat everything including letters in the letterbox and even munched holes in the box of snail pellets!
Hahahaha that made me laugh, holes in the packet of pellets.. They must be bad. Just throw the pellets out when it rains, snails are most active after rain.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:27 pm

i love going on a squishing rampage for snails after the rain at night Very Happy
i found them on mainly on my tricho's, they don't chew much but leave ugly scaring
Back to top Go down
hydrophobe

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:09 pm

yes i get the same thing with the bad scaring and they also tend to munch any part of the flower buds that stick out from the prickles with others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: assorted seeds to expand my collection   

Back to top Go down

assorted seeds to expand my collection
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1