» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Share | 

Cereus peruvianus not growing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:03 pm

My Cereus peruvianus will not grow. It is clearly healthy enough because it keeps flowering, almost never being devoid of buds in the warmer months. It is a cutting of a mature plant, just over 1 m high in a very large plastic pot. The apical meristem is not dead because last growing season it did grow about 10 cm, very fast, but then stopped again for more flowering.

I figure that this would seem like a good thing to many people, but I want the plant to grow bigger, not just sit there flowering when there are no other plants around to pollinate with! I do have other species of Cereus, one of which is skyrocketing and another recent introduction that also has buds but it is too new to tell what it is doing yet.

Is there some special care that I need to give it to make it grow? Does anyone else have this "problem"?
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:10 pm

I have the same Cereus Peruvianus that i have had for the last 3 year, that does not grow, from cutting.
First i had it in a pot, it flowered but did not grow,  so i put it in a larger pot after it had grown roots.
Still nothing, after a while i put it in the ground and forgot about it, it still has not grown 1 mm at all apart from the occasional flowers, i think the only going/growing it will do is to the garden recycle bin.
I would be nice to tell you whats going on but i don't know, i'm sure someone on this forum will know.

I have another cactus with the same scenario, it has not grown in the last 3-3.5 years, i have repotted it in thought of it might grow but no,

not to sure on what it is, i was hoping for it to grow and might be able to see what it is from the new growth, have tried extar fertilizer still nothing.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:23 pm

My plant has done at least some underground growth because there are roots all through the pot, and they existed only shortly after repotting last summer. It is also very fat, I think a lot fatter than when I got it, showing that it can clearly absorb a lot of water.
Back to top Go down
Eck

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Cereoid wrote:
Does anyone else have this "problem"?

Yes, exactly the same problem.

My cereus peruvianus cutting was put in the ground 2 years ago.  It gets full sun.  First summer it grew 10 cm.  Next summer it flowered but no growth.  This summer no sign of anything.  In desperation I've taken to watering it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Viewing my previous post I notice the forum software has hi-lighted some phrases and automatically inserted links to Amazon.com !  I don't know how or why this happened.  Similarly frustrating was a reply I made to another topic in which I had inserted a link to another site.  "Preview" displayed the link correctly but after the post was "sent", the link vanished.  This forum software has gremlins.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:19 pm

I've got the opposite "problem", mine grows like a flipping weed but plain refuses to flower.
It's been in the ground now since sometime in 2010 and gone through 2 relocations, stared out as a 15cm cutting and is now a monster!
It's been given this season to produce a flower or it's gone! Likely be gone even if it responds to the threath as it's starting to get to big for comfort, afraid it will topple in high winds.

Bit of a size comparison.
April 2012

Taken as I wrote this.

15cm to a 9foot monster with 3 new arms in less than 4 years, the 3 new arms started at at the beginning of summer last year, this season it's started 2 new arms.
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:18 pm

I think its good in a way that ours are not growing, especially if they grow like mad!!!!
It would be nice to get a bit of growth out of them just to know that they are doing well.
Not sure how well Cereus Peruvianus go with grafting, but with the vigorous growth it must have some good properties.

I found some cuttings on the side of the road, i got home and thought why not get some, worst case they will just get put in the garden waste bin, i got a few bundles.
Funny enough that they have sat there in the same spot in bundles for about 1-2 months, there are signs of a flower and new growth!
Funny that when you want the dam thing to grow it wont but when you not after any growth it does!!
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:41 pm

I did not see any spines on those plants. Do they have spines? Mine is the one with short brown spines. Do the different plants act differently? It seems as if the spined ones can have the not-growing "problem" and the spineless ones can have the not-not-growing "problem", at least from my observations assuming that those plants are actually spineless.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:20 am

Mine's the spiny variant, something that will make taking it out soooo much more interesting  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Cereoid wrote:
I did not see any spines on those plants. Do they have spines?
My Cereus does have very small spines, sort of like a Trichocereus Scoupicola, spines are still there and easy to handle.
Its interesting that the Cereus that i have had in the ground for a few years has done nothing and some month old cuttings treated like crap look like they will flower and have new growth shoots.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Well, if you want a "proven" grower just let me know. I'm in Sydney's west and with the plant going a the end of the season anyways I'm not a stranger to lopping one of it's arms off.
Be pickup only though as these things are fat!
Back to top Go down
hydrophobe

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I've got both, two spiny C.P like the one in SnowFella's photo and one spineless.  Both spiny ones are in 20cm pots and one's growing like a weed and has put on 1ft per year for the last 3 years.  The other's only grown 5cm in the same time.  The one growing like a weed is from seed and its the main trunk.  The other was an 'arm' cutting from a hugh 'tree' with dozzens of branches over 6m in length and loaded with fruit and flowers.

Of the spineless ones i've got two in pots that haven't done much at all and one in the ground thats looking magnificent though may be an issue when it reaches the roof!  Here is a photo of the spiness one, as you can see it's growing like a weed, the darker colour indicates where this years growth started. Can't seem to find any photoes of the others.

As a last resort try wripping it out of the ground and laying it down on a tarp for the rest of the season in shade.  Then plant it out again next year.  I have had some cuttins left like that and have found they are VERY motivated to grow when re-planted.  I suggest shade only so as they don't yellow or blister like the ones Rickyscactus picked up.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Isn't that a photo of Echinopsis/Trichocereus scopulicola though? Too fat ribs to be a Cereus to my eyes.
Back to top Go down
hydrophobe

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Hmm you could be right after a quick check.  Was only given the name verbally but you may well be correct, I thought it was a bit too fat 20cm+ vs 10cm in description and spinless. Most of the 'spiness' ones seemed to have small spines.  Not 100% sure why but the one in that photo has 5 or 6 very fat ribs but previously its been 7 to 9. far less fat ribs.  I suspect it changes number or ribs based on light level with more in stronger light.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:39 pm

When I had to lop a large limb of one of my trichs I lazily left it lying in semi-shade due to reluctance to throw it on the compost for fear of insulting such a beautiful plant.

Innumerable months later or even next season when I worked up to cleaning up the yard a bit I found it had rooted to the ground so I unceremoniously turfed it up, trashing roots in the process, and whacked it in a pot.

After propping it in a shady spot for a couple of weeks it is now blissfully happy growing wherever I choose to put it (it even became our temporary Christmas tree).

It stands about six feet tall and radiates gratitude for sparing it's life.

Fairytale ending.

On a side not, the peruvianus I got a couple of months ago is showing good signs of growth even after a knock on the head by some hail. The bruise makes for a good marker for how much it's growing.

Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:16 pm

supergirl wrote:
After propping it in a shady spot for a couple of weeks it is now blissfully happy growing wherever I choose to put it (it even became our temporary Christmas tree).

Now that's an idea.  Instead of those climate-inappropriate European species, Australia should be promoting the cactus as a Christmas tree!  No need to throw it out each year - just watch it get bigger.

What species? Perhaps a 'pipe-organ' cactus such as a P. Pringlei.

Santa will need to be careful when he's climbing it attaching the presents else he may receive a spine or two where it hurts ...  Razz

Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:39 pm

SnowFella wrote:
Isn't that a photo of Echinopsis/Trichocereus scopulicola though? Too fat ribs to be a Cereus to my eyes.

Speaking of cactus refusing to grow...

Picked up a small t.scop from Bunnings.  It was not in the best of shape - badly scarred and misformed at the base.  I decided to chop it an inch from the base which would hopefully pup.

Two months later the top hasn't rooted, nor is there any sign of pups forming on the chopped base. Tried everything - putting them in the propagation box, outside under cover, and in the sun.  Nothing seems to work.  They are mighty stubborn creatures!

Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:21 pm

It's started growing! Wonderful!

But now I feel silly for starting this whole topic...
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Stand back and seek shelter! If it goes off like mine it will be a monster in notime!
Though likely somewhat slower than what mine in the ground grows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cereus peruvianus not growing   

Back to top Go down

Cereus peruvianus not growing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1