HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
by RoseM Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 pm

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
by EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
by cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Share | 

What's up with these funky seedlings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:53 pm

So I planted these Cereus aethiops peruvianus seeds that I made from my own plants, and when I checked on them yesterday I was really surprised.

Image removed

Image removed

Magenta seedlings!

Does anyone know what's going on with these funky magenta seedlings? Should I give them any special care? Will they turn green or will they just die if I don't graft them?

Last edited by Cereoid on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Usually redness is an indication of high light levels, but they're more pink ! Wouldn't think they'd all be variegates so I'd assume they'll revert to green in a few days.

Could also be a reaction to something in your mix perhaps ??
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:25 pm

What an amazing color!
Would be great if they kept it.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
wert

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:49 pm

wasnt going to post anything but here goes anyway.

they look fine. yes there pink but they look normal otherwize.

i would be asking whats wrong with the single, lonesome green one?... is he the same species?
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

The seedlings are in mostly shade and under translucent plastic. The medium is pure washed and sifted river sand with some liquid cactus fertiliser added when I planted the seeds.

So someone spotted the green one. It's pink now too.
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Hey Cereoid,

I have herd not to use any fertilizer at all when growing cactus or succulent from seed and i never had.

I have not come across any pinky seeds like that before.

Possibly something to do with that?

Then again it could just be the Cereus aethiops peruvianus seeds you have.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Could be the fertiliser - might have something in it at a high level that's effecting the seedlings. Really no need for fertiliser until the seedlings have established themselves. The root hairs are extremely fragile/sensitive at germination, so probably prone to be burnt off by too much chemical fertiliser anyway.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:05 pm

I figured that the fertiliser wouldn't do any harm since it is a low dosage and going into something with no nutrients to begin with. It would likely be a lower concentration than if starting seeds in straight potting mix.

The root growth looks really strong so I don't think it's damaging them much if at all. They have a main root that is about as deep as the plant is tall (or at least they did yesterday) and lots of root hairs.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:17 pm

So there's no organics whatsoever in the mix ? Sounds like it's almost hydroponics! If so, I think you'll find it a bit of a struggle to keep them going, but Cereus are pretty tough so maybe they'll come through... Good luck with them!
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Even if they all die then that's only a small percentage of the seeds in storage! And I can get them indefinitely in the future whenever this happens:

Image removed

Last edited by Cereoid on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wert

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Navajoa wrote:
Could be the fertiliser - might have something in it at a high level that's effecting the seedlings. Really no need for fertiliser until the seedlings have established themselves. The root hairs are extremely fragile/sensitive at germination, so probably prone to be burnt off by too much chemical fertiliser anyway.

like said.

i have always used a pre assembled seedling mix from bunnings. all i do is sift out chunky stuff from one or two handfulls of mix that i put ontop of the unsifted mix to put the seeds on. always sprinkle a fine layer over the top. cook in the oven or microwave. microwave seems to work fine and takes a couple of 60 second rounds.
never use fertilizer.
seedlings are like babys. they are being exposed to elements for first time... they have zero imunitys. to much light... no good. to much water... no good. fertilizer... no good!

fertilizer is good for plants. bad for seedlings.

it will alter the way the seedy/baby developes immunity... not good.

now that you mentioned the fert... either the seedys just have a pink phaze... or they are overdosing on something in your fert.

still dont give up on em. they could/ will turn out fine if you are a good parent to your babys.

ps. some people get very pedantic about seedling germination techniques... remember. it aint rocket science. mother nature does all this w/o kitchens, chinees t/away boxes, heat mats and artificial lights... she keeps it real y'all. and she is the pioneer that gives us the most important ingreedient for us to have a go.

dont over complicate things. keep it simple. keep it real.Wink
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Well after some time they have grown bigger, grown their first spines and have kept their weird colour. But there's this one really weird one in there as well. It has three cotyledons:

Image removed

Image removed

Does anyone know what's going on with this one?

Last edited by Cereoid on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Unfortunately I have no knowledge to impart.
But I will say wow! Amazing colour which they seem to have kept well this far and they look extremely healthy.
Thanks for sharing the update, the photos are so clear.
I can't get pictures that clear of my seedlings because of the cling wrap covering the containers.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:09 pm

I keep them in a clear plastic bag that I take off when I want to inspect them or take photos. But it was still hard to get those photos because the camera only has auto-focus and kept trying to focus on the sand, so in order to get those photos I got it to focus then moved back slightly to bring the seedlings into focus. It is a very delicate process and requires extreme precision or taking a lot of photos. I did the latter.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 am

Might have to switch to plastic bags next round of seeds I plant. Currently use glad wrap and its impractical to remove it, take a look at the seedlings and rewrap them.
If you you ever have any excess seed you'd like to sell please let me know would love to try my hand and the pink beauties.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Sorry I didn't read the entire thread Embarassed

However this could be food for thought.I have had 2 different species of columnar cacti in the same tray under the exact same conditions, all of the seedlings of one species turned red/pink whilst the other remained green. The species were Pachycereus and Trichocereus... Weird ?

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
wert

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:41 am

HN you didnt specify whether or not your pink and green seedlings grew on to become healthy normal plants?
did they all turn out fine? im thinking they probably did cause you probably would have mentioned any significant issues you found with your "pinkys".

walker just remember the potting arangement incl glad/plastic wrap is being used for the seedlings interest. not your camera. while its nice to take photos of seedlings and look at them frequently, doing such does not give any real benifits. chances are if you get your medium/water mix wrong by the time you realize...
we just work on getting the medium right, sterilize soil and wait for seedys to sprout... easy to see even through the water droplets and mist on plastic wrap, once seedys are go... hardining off. thats when the glad/cling/plastic wrap makes life easy!
it dont take long once peircing one or two holes "if your mix is on heat" for the misty fog to dissapear.

opening sandwitch bags frequently for camera shoots only allows room for contagens and unwanted contaminants. yes.

use plastic wrap.

my tip to all. get a lead sinker "fishing" or a heavy marble and press down lightly in center of wrap when first aplying the wrap. let it sit on the plastic from here on. the weight will make excess water condensation collect and run to a low point easily so all you do is tap the weight a couple of times and....
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 am

Yes I'm sorry I should have said that. All seedlings I mentioned above were grown out and they are all normal and green and growing fine. It took about 4 months for the discoloured seedlings to revert back to green. I guess this all points to a chlorophyll issue ?

I should also point out the seedlings were grown under fluorescent lights in a controlled environment, where they receive no natural light or wind.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:44 pm

I checked in on them recently and found that the tricotyledonous one is not alone! I have two!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's up with these funky seedlings?   

Back to top Go down

What's up with these funky seedlings?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1