HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

» Hi from Melbourne
by jennym Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 pm

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:19 am

Share | 

fruit bats and gnats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
peter olsen

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-04-17

PostSubject: fruit bats and gnats   Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:27 am

g.day all, in my town bairnsdale vic, we have apron, 72.000 fruit bats,the locals are carring on about and want them moved, they cause a lot of damage, and stink, a friend of mine had a lot of his plants and fruit trees wrecked plus others. all so in there thousands are gnats, i did not know what they ere till i joind this forum and read about pest etc, once i realise my hot house was full of them, i went on the war path, checked out google, you tube etc, what i found was the best way to reduce numbers was this yellow sticky card board stuff from buntings, i cut it in small squares, and stuck it on my name tags plus hung bits up here and every where, another clue i found was to get 2 liter coke bottles and cut the top off, turn it up side down and put back in the bottle, run tape around the join, and tip about 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in them and i placed these here and they amongst my cactus , results 100,s of them drowned, there is no way i can get rid of them, as the dam things are every where her,so i just to live it, if it was not for this forum, i believe all or most of my cactus would be lost, thanks to all members that put posts i,ve learnt so much in just a short time, peter olsen vic....
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: fruit bats and gnats   Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Now worries peter glad you found something to help here. I personally spray all my plants with Confidor once a month as I have found pests and diseases to be astonishingly prevalent up in the tropics. I guess that's what one can expect when trying to grow a desert plant in the tropics.

Admin

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: fruit bats and gnats   Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Glad to hear you are getting on top of the gnats !! They are a real pain in the bum especially when you have a bad infestation. Your methods to deal with them are great and are the best in my opinion.

Keep up the good work.
HN

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fruit bats and gnats   

Back to top Go down

fruit bats and gnats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1