HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

» Hi from Melbourne
by jennym Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Share | 

2 new bad boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: 2 new bad boys   Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 am

Hey Folks,
Picked up these 2 from ebay.
Pretty stoked with them, they're great looking and very healthy.
Any ideas as to what they might be? I know they are loph's but not sure on the exact type.

Image hosted by servimg.com
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: 2 new bad boys   Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:03 am

Cool as. They are on good stocks too. You should be able to grow them out for years before those pascana's can't support them. With lophs it is very difficult to get an ID without a flower but I am betting they are both williamsii.

I have found fricci, koreshi and other species in this family to be quite a bit more rarer in collections then willy's.

Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: 2 new bad boys   Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks Sneaky,
Had a feeling they would be williamsii but thought I would ask just in case.
Glad I wont have to be de-grafting them anytime soon, after my tragic first attempt I am hesitant to try again but hopefully by the time these guys need to be moved I will have had alot more experience.
I'm slowly building up my stock collection, the pachanoii I hacked up a few months back is starting to pup and the tip is starting to grow as well. Not having very much luck with the peres, it just doesn't seem to respond to anything I do.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: 2 new bad boys   Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:43 am

I think by the time they need to be de-grafted they will be big enough and well pupped enough to go on their own roots and should look really stunning.

I have had very bad luck with pereskopsis. I have no way of keeping it in a humid environment so every time I have to work with it I end up looking like a porcupine attack victim.

Tricho's are definitely easier to work with. I am also looking into polaskia as a good long term stock. Slower growth but very stable and hardy plant.

Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: 2 new bad boys   Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:00 am

I've had my fair share of glochid attacks, bloody awful things! I'd rather be stung by a big spine than those nasty little things.
I hear people raving about Peres being a great stock, so I am inclined to use them. Thats if I can ever get the damn things to grow and produce some nice shoots.
Although pach seems to have a good reputation as well.
About the only thing I have a great supply of though is opuntia, I have a variety that is almost spineless so easy enough to work with just have to get around to trying my hand at grafting again, I do have about 30 golden barrel seedlings that will make good "testers" won't be too concerned if I lose a few.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 new bad boys   

Back to top Go down

2 new bad boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1