HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

» Hi from Melbourne
by jennym Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Share | 

Red epidermis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
greenhouse

Number of posts : 3
Location : just arrived in australia,but was a big collecter in the uk
Registration date : 2014-10-25

PostSubject: Red epidermis   Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:17 am

Hi out there this is Greenhouse.
  I've been growing Cactus for over 20 years in the UK,I now live in Australia and trying to start a new collection, and I've come across something I've never encountered before, a lot of the plants I've acquired have red epidermis, were as the same plants are green in the UK except those that are naturally brown. What I'm trying to find out is what affect this has on growth and flowering.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Red epidermis   Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 am

High greenhouse! Welcome to the forum and welcome to Australia! Red skin colouration can have a few causes and in some cases is a genetic trait. Gymnocalicium damsii is one such cactus that when dormant turns a red colour and when actively growing is a green colour. Are you able to post a picture?

PostSubject: Re: Red epidermis   Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:54 am

Hi SneakyCuttefish
Thanks for your prompt Reply to my post, you say Gymno damsii has a red colouration when dormant and I don't doubt what you say is right but I've never come across this even in damsii.I can't post a photo at the moment as I'm away on holiday. Thanks for the welcome to Australia
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Red epidermis   Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:24 am

All good mate. I would love to see a pic when you get back. I have notice some of my other gymno's and echinopsis (lobivia) crests turn red when they are water/heat stressed as well. I will post a few pics when I get a chance.

PostSubject: Re: Red epidermis   Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:12 am

Here are a few pics of some plants that are currently displaying a red skin colouration. These plants are all water stressed as it is just nearing the end of winter and they haven't had a drink for a couple of months.

Lobivia crest

This gymno sports red coloured pups all the time and the main head will turn the same red colour if I really stress them over winter.

Another smaller gymno. Same species.

This is a young echinocactus grusonii that hasn't had a drink in months. It has a more reddish/purple tinge to it.

PostSubject: Re: Red epidermis   Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:37 am

Hi
  Thanks for your Pic's it looks to me as this is something I will have to get use to .I just got a reply to an Email I sent to John Pilbeam quite an expert on Cactus, and he reckons it could be due to the different conditions in Australia ie a drier atmosphere as in the UK it is damper all year round, so they wouldn't get so dry, may be this is the answer
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Red epidermis   Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:17 am

That is highly likely. The red colouration will go away if I give them a water. I would say it is a probable combination of more intense sunlight and water stress. It doesn't seem to bother the plants in the long term and could very well be a survival mechanism. By reducing the amount of chlorophyll in the epidermis the plant would photosynthesise less and therefore use less resources like nutrient and water. Especially considering that the former is not available without the latter.

PostSubject: Re: Red epidermis   

Back to top Go down

Red epidermis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1