» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

» Problem with cacti
by nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

Share | 

Does E. ancistrophora grow *this* slowly (photos)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gbell12

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-10-14

PostSubject: Does E. ancistrophora grow *this* slowly (photos)   Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have seeds from *I think* E. ancistrophora.  I was delighted when they sprouted, but they've grown incredibly slowly.

Here, they're about 3 months old.  The Australian coin for scale is about the size of an American dime.

In this picture, they are are a year and a half old... not even sure they're still alive after this last winter, but when they were more obviously alive, they were that size.

So should this cactus be growing more than this in 18 months?

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Does E. ancistrophora grow *this* slowly (photos)   Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:28 am

Best way to tell is to re-pot them. If you remove them from the soil and there is no root they are probably dead.

It is possible that you dried them out too early. Normally I keep my seedlings under high humidity/temp for 4-6 months before drying out. If you dry them out to early they will take a very long time to get going.

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Does E. ancistrophora grow *this* slowly (photos)   Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:18 am

That's probably what happened - dried out too early. How do you tell when that should happen - just by the elapsed time, or when they're a certain size?

If I did dry them out too early, is it too late to put them back into a high humidity/temp environment?

Thanks @SneakyCuttlefish for that. Good tip.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Does E. ancistrophora grow *this* slowly (photos)   Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:48 pm

Normally you can't put them back in. Once a cactus has dried out there are a number of biological processes that kick in that help the cactus to survive drought. These processes make the cactus intolerable to high humidity.

I don't have any method for drying them out. A few weeks is not long enough. Any more than 6 months and algae and other bacteria's tend to get in and cause problems. That's my experience anyway.

PostSubject: Re: Does E. ancistrophora grow *this* slowly (photos)   

Back to top Go down

Does E. ancistrophora grow *this* slowly (photos)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1