HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
by eduart Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

» Free continual trading thread
by chris86 Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

» Nooker gone aussie
by Jackdaripper Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

» Newbie here, received a few succulents as a gift. Would love some help identifying them so I can research how to care for them!
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:08 am

» What is it?
by SneakyCuttlefish Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

» Hi from Melbourne
by jennym Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Share | 

Help! What's this on my Trichocereus pasacana?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mr_diesel60

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Help! What's this on my Trichocereus pasacana?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:21 am

Noticed this when I bought it. Hasn't really got any worse. Should i just leave it or put something on it? It came like this, and I did leave it in the sun but the weather in Melbourne hasn't been that hot. I will cover it up today though.

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
Back to top Go down
WoodDragon

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Help! What's this on my Trichocereus pasacana?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:41 pm

My T. knuthianus has the same scarring, and it seems to occur when it has growth spurts. It's growing in a hothouse, so it doesn't get direct sun but it does get good light. It occurred when I increased watering with the onset of summer, so I still wonder if it is an infection-related thing or just rapid expansion of the stem diameter.

At first I freaked because I thought that it had insects or rot deep in the folds that knuthis have, but they just seem to callus over and the plant grows happily enough. My one initial attempt to lever a black mark out of the fold quickly made me realise that it was firmly attached to the stem.

From what I can figure the underlying tissue is healthy and firm, and I just leave it alone. If it's anything like my cereus that once scarred over after getting a rotten aureola, one day the scarred tissue will just drop away as the stems grows, leaving a healthy surface underneath.

If they don't fall away, I would just accept it as a part of the growing architecture of the plant.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Help! What's this on my Trichocereus pasacana?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:55 pm

yeah she looks female to me hehe
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Help! What's this on my Trichocereus pasacana?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

blowng wrote:
yeah she looks female to me hehe

LOL LOL gold. Very good!!

Yeah I called up Collectors corner and sent them a couple of pics. I described the calluses and was told that it's quite common for wooden pieces to appear at the base. It's not an infection though. I tend to agree that it's more related to growth and expansion.

They do get awfully big though!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! What's this on my Trichocereus pasacana?   

Back to top Go down

Help! What's this on my Trichocereus pasacana?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1